Earlier this month, Ray shared highlights from a remarkable life
POST A MESSAGE FOR RAY
Leave your own Bradbury birthday greeting, and read the comments of others
In this essay from
, Ray recalls his days in Westwood and the writing of
Catch a glimpse of selected items from the Bradburyana in the UCLA Library Special Collections
Follow the Flame: Use this timeline to track the birth, influence and cloning (in other media) of
RAY BRADBURY'S GALACTIC BRUIN QUIZ
Think you know the history of the author's long relationship with UCLA? Take this quiz and test that hypothesis
RAY BRADBURY’S GALACTIC BRUIN QUIZ
1) The story we know as
has had multiple titles. Which of the following titles has NEVER been used:
Long After Midnight
A Flame in Alexandria
2) True or False: Bradbury wrote
in UCLA's Powell Library to take advantage of the air conditioning.
3) Ray's wife Maggie studied English and Spanish at UCLA. Which undergraduate class did she blame for her departure from campus:
A literature class on Proust
A poetry class on Yeats
A swimming class.
4) True or False: The UCLA Library catalog includes more than 100 entries under the author name Ray Bradbury.
5) The opening line of
Montag sat listening to the rain.
It was a pleasure to burn.
Montag grinned the fierce grin of all men singed and driven back by flame.
6) Bradbury credits many authors and films for helping to shape his imagination. Which book or picture should NOT be on the list:
John Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath
Sherwood Anderson's Winesburg, Ohio
Walt Disney's Steamboat Willie
King Kong (1933 version of the film)
7) In recent years, which event has regularly brought Ray Bradbury to the UCLA campus?
Sigma Tau Delta Marathon Reading
Los Angeles Times Festival of Books in Association with UCLA
UCLA Office of Residential Life Common Book Discussion
Special thanks to the Sam Weller biography, “The Bradbury Chronicles.”
About This Site
University of California
© 2011 UC Regents